The celebrations for Mom's 40th birthday continues this week on her actual birthday, February 18th with Grandma Dubby and Grandpa Andy coming to town on a Jet Blue Flight from New York City. They haven't been out since last year, so it was great to have them come and see us. They arrived in time for Mom's actual birthday on Thursday, and in time for a busy weekend of grand openings and celebrations.
On Saturday, we had Opening Day for ELB Pony Baseball and the big Hawaiian Party for Mom's 40th at the Hubers. The morning started early with the annual festivities at Heartwell Park. This year, I am on the Orioles with Nate and my old soccer coach Greg. It has been a few years since I wore anything but a Red Sox jersey, but I don't really care. It is good to get back out on the field and pitch. I was super nervous to hit because the kids are bigger this year--9 and 10 year olds--but it didn't matter. I hit the ball all three times, scored a couple runs, and pitched three innings for our first win over the Royals. Grandma and Grandpa took me to Sports Chalet to pick out my birthday presents (coming on Monday), because I elected to get more Under Armor clothes to add to what I got for Christmas.
It was also the big party at the Hubers for Mom on Saturday night. All of Mom's girl friends pitched-in to help with the party planning, set-up, and pick-up of food and other things. Dad ordered a bunch of Hawaiian decorations from Amazon and a bunch of Hawaiian food from the barbecue place. We also had a giant chocolate cake from Hoff's Hut that Mom always likes. It was fun, but Chris got sick again--he had Hand Foot Mouth two weeks ago and a cold ever since--and we think he got a bad ear infection as a result. Dad took us home to go to bed because we had rehearsal for Children's Choir and the semi finals for basketball the next day but it was a big and exhausting day!
We are also moving right along with "Are We There Yet", the play about Moses leading the Hebrews out of Egypt. After auditioning for the parts of Pharoh and brother Aaron (which I didn't practice for), I settled in with the part of a Speaker. Chris got what he wanted as a Pharoh's Guard, but I am learning that it gets harder and harder to get the awards, the parts, and the grades that you want in life. As we are getting older, the kids that choose to stay involved in this or that are the ones that practice and prepare. I am not able to just show-up and get what I want anymore; I have to work hard at the things that I want. Just like the fence, if you pour bad footings the rain will get in and the post will fall over!
No comments:
Post a Comment