Sunday, February 28, 2016

Happy Birthday Weekend (week 479)



Our basketball season came to an end last Sunday, and with it my first suspected concussion.  After hearing so much about concussions from football games this past year I had been eagerly waiting for my first one and think that I got it during the semi-finals of the NJB Boys Division 3 championships. It was a hard-fought defensive struggle in which we held the eventual champion (undefeated Houston Rockets) to only 22 points, but in the end we earned a loss and an injury that knocked me out of our Monday baseball game against my former team (the Red Sox) and school, on my birthday!  On my birthday, I got sent home from school for headaches, but still managed to get ice cream to the class and Orange Chicken for dinner.

All is well that ends well.  Dad had a trip to Kansas City this week, Grandma Dubby and Grandpa Andy were still with us until Thursday, and Chris got to go to the CSULB basketball game with the YMCA Adventure Guides.  Chris doesn't actually like going to basketball games much but the YMCA kids got to go on to the center court during half time at the Pyramid and lead the crowd in the YMCA dance.  Chris got cold feet at the last minute and watched the whole spectacle from the sideline.  

Later, we had a baseball game against the White Sox where I pitched three shutout innings, but gave up a single to the 9 out of 9 hitter! We all went to Nate's house afterwards for a slumber party (including Chris), and for Nate's birthday.  I ended up sleeping terrible but Chris had a great time and slept like a baby.

On Sunday, we finally celebrated my birthday at Wardlow Park.  Mom made 48 cupcakes and we had about 40 people there to play basketball, soccer, football, golf, and corn hole. Chris learned to ride his bike without training wheels this weekend, so he was a mad man riding his bike up and down the park bikepath with Emma.  He is very proud of his new skill. The party was great, but I was coming down with a sore throat since Friday and ended-up crashing pretty hard at the end of the day.  Hopefully, I won't be as sick as the rest of the family was with this germ.  It has been a terrible sick-winter for the entire Keisler family.

Thank you to all my friends and families that came to the party and gave me awesome, sports-related presents.  I think I might have received enough gift cards and money to buy a new bike (and give Chris my old one)!  

No comments: