Sunday, September 28, 2014

Gooooaaaaallll!!!!!!! (week 405)

Christopher scored his first goal on Saturday, helping the fighting Lizards to their first win of the season 5-4 over the Red Lions.  It was a particularly memorable goal, coming at the end of the first quarter and barely breaking the plane.  In fact, it sort of sat on the white line and everyone on the field sort of stopped and stared at it to see if it was actually a goal.  In the end, the referee called it a point for the Lizards and we ended the period tied 1-1.  We ended the game 5-4 and got our first win of the year.  Starting out with a loss, a tie last week, and now a win gives me hope that our coaching and practice is starting to pay off (or the competition is just getting easier each week).

I am having a great time coaching Chris's team and learning a lot about working with little kids.  It is hard!  They don't listen very well so routine is very important.  Each week, I walk them through the same warm-up run around the field, stretching, dribbling, passing, and shooting drills.  It is also fund to work with my dad as partners.  Maybe someday I will coach for a career!

My Green Soldiers (U8) team is also getting better every week.  We got crushed in our first game 1-5, but won our second game 5-1, and won our third game 7-2.  This week we played my best friend Nate's team and I got 5 goals!  I was so pumped about facing Nate and my other buddy Dylan, that I set the clock on the iPad in the morning to countdown mode and watched each minute over the six hours between Chris and my game.  Afterward, we all went to Nate's house to swim, watch the USC game, and I got spend the night.  Chris was super bummed because he is still too little to do sleep overs (and all his best friends are girls), but being older has some benefits.


Chris is still sick.  This time it looks like a cold and an ear infection, and I think it is spreading through the family.  We had Church, Sunday School, and Choir again on Sunday morning.  I had to sing the First Noel solo because I wanted to be a Shepherd in the Christmas play "The Living Cresh".  It was pretty terrifying, but I am really bent on holding that shepherds staff.

No comments: