Monday, March 3, 2014

Best Day of My Life! (week 376)

Chris had his first big Rookie game on the Heartwell ELB Mustang field.  He was pretty pumped-up to put on his uniform and to play on the big field.  The Rangers definitely did better than the Dodgers that I played on but there were still some great dog piles on defense, and some base running that ended-up in left field.  Mady and Chris both hit the ball out of the air (coach pitch).  In fact, Chris went 2-2 without having to use the tee and was pretty excited when he got his own snack bag--a first--at the end of the game.

On Saturday, we were primarily stuck inside due to the rain.  Since everything else ended up canceled, we did a family day.  We made french toast and painted watercolors of flowers.  In the afternoon we went to the movies.  It was awesome.  We got tons of popcorn and watched "The Lego Movie", about Emmit and Mr. Business.  When we got home, we all played Legos and Battleship together.

By the time Sunday morning rolled around, the anticipation of the best day of my life was almost killing me! I was having a hard time going to sleep just thinking about it.  The reason I was so excited was that we had been planning my birthday party for weeks.  I got to personally select the invite list, and this was the first year that I had near complete control of the agenda: bowling, In-N-Out, and ice cream sundaes.

The day was everything that I expected it to be.  We started off with my favorite breakfast: pancakes and bacon, and the party started at 10:00 am. I had invited seven other 1st graders from Patrick Henry and two little siblings.  We started out at Round 1, the bowling alley and arcade at the Lakewood Mall.  We got unlimited bowling for two hours (I got two strikes).  Next, we went to In-N-Out for lunch and ordered so many french fries and cheeseburgers that they had to fit them in four or five separate containers.  We even got our own drinks!  Next, we went back to our house where we had our favorite ice cream flavors--vanilla, chocolate, mint chip--and all the toppings that you can imagine. Christopher put so many toppings on his ice cream sundae that he had to ask Mommy to take some off.  We all played kick-back in the muddy backyard and threw balls at each other for about 2 hours.
Right after everyone left, it started raining again.  We stayed outside in the rain to play basketball and make mud pies but Christopher and I were very sad to see the day come to a close.  We  had been waiting so long for it to arrive, so it was disappointing that it was finally over.  Christopher said that he was so sad that all his friends were gone because he had such a good time as the little brother tagging along. We were so tired that night that Christopher fell asleep while eating his dinner--while he was still chewing.  By 7:30 pm, everyone was out for the night, the sign of a great day.

No comments: