Monday, May 20, 2013

New York, New York (week 335)

This year, our annual trip to New York and Long Island came two months early because Mommy and Daddy had a wedding to attend to.  We took the red-eye out of Long Beach Airport, which looks completely different now with the new terminal, and were picked-up early in the east coast morning by Grandpa Andy.  It is always confusing boarding the plane in Long Beach, and waking-up in Long Island on a completely different day.

We love going to Long Island and getting "Bagels Your Way", and "Triple P Pizza".  This year, daddy and I went to the store and bought a ton of whiffle balls, bases, and a new bat.  The pool wasn't open yet, but Grandpa Andy had planted new grass around the house and made a perfect baseball field for us to play over the line.  I beat daddy 26 to 25 in 9 innings, and while daddy and mommy were at the wedding in Manhattan, we got the news that I made the East Long Beach Pony U6 Shetland All Star Team!

Later in the week, we all went to East Harlem to see Uncle Mark and Leah's new apartment.  It was the first time that we got to see their apartment, and also the first time that we got to stay overnight in Manhattan for a few days.  We walked everywhere!  Manhattan is all about transportation, so we took the subway (sub-a-way as Chris calls it) all over the island to meet Olivia and Katie at the Children's Museum of Art, visit Times Square, and walk the entire length of Central Park on the West Side.  On one day, we walked from Times Square to Rockafeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral to East Harlem, and climbed the rocks of Central Park in between.  It must of been 9 miles by the time that we were done...daddy and Chris had to stop halfway and take a nap on the grass of Central Park!

In all, I expressed that I would like to live in New York City for 5 years and come back to California to live the rest of the time.  I am really into the different forms of transportation--buses, trains, subways, taxis, and walking--love the big buildings, like the noise, action, food, and smells of the big city.  It might be more that I was also on vacation, but it was really an amazing experience that was so different than anything that we have in Long Beach.

Since we are getting bigger now, we are getting much better at traveling and have more trips in our future.  Christopher slept most of the flight out on the red-eye and even slept some of the way back to Long Beach during the day flight.  When we landed, we went straight to All Stars baseball practice and back into the Long Beach life almost immediately.  It was quite a trip but I am also glad that I am home again in my own backyard!




No comments: