I finished my third week of kindergarten at Patrick Henry this week, and with it my first Back-to-School Night. I didn't actually get to go, but all our parents got to see our classwork and here from Senora Quintero about what we do every day. For the most part, it is a lot of counting, calendars, and colors. However, there is also cooking on Fridays and a stuffed bear named Osito that some lucky kindergartner gets to take home on the weekends. We get our homework packets every Monday for the week, which we are supposed to complete with our parents in addition to reading every night in English. Everything else in my school life is in Spanish for the foreseeable future. I set up my own bedroom as a classroom with a calendar and posters. Christopher isn't the best student, so I kicked him out of the class.
Mommy was asked to be our classroom mother. A high honor for sure. We don't know if it was the case that no one else signed up to volunteer or if it was something about mommy's experience as a school teacher and her doctorate in education. Perhaps, all of it just shined through. Daddy signed up for the Watch Dogs program for dads. Basically, they volunteer in the mornings and afternoons to provide traffic control. I can't wait to see him do his turn as crossing guard in a neon yellow Cal Trans vest and carrying a stop sign.
The Geckos also had a big win on Saturday. Thankfully, we had the 9:00 am game this week so it wasn't nearly as hot as last weekend. Unfortunately, we played a team that was stacked with 4-year-olds that were more confused than we were. I got my first two assists and my second and third goals of the year. We won 7-0 and handed the Sharks what will certainly be one of many blow-out defeats of the season.
Meantime, we are big into the Lorax right now. We spend a lot of time watching the movie and listening to the music in the car and our bedroom. Our favorite song of course, is "How Bad Can I Be". I am not sure exactly what it means--he likes money--but as a two-year-old Christopher loves to sing the words "How ba-a-a-a-d can I be!" We also like "Let it Grow" which is a song about rebirth, sustainability and the environment, but it is not nearly as exciting as the song about unrestrained capitalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment