Monday, September 27, 2010

Big Brother Ben (week 187)

Grandma Paula and Grandpa Mike came to stay with us this week and to help take care of Christopher and me while dada was at work. Mama had a trip to Florida for a conference, so we got to hang-out with the grandparents for most of the week (and even skip school). We took long walks to the park and the beach and had a great time coloring, playing in the backyard, and feeding our fish USC. When mama came home on Sunday, Christopher looked a little confused until he figured out that it was her. It is sad that Grandma had to go, but good to have mama back as well.

We also played Wii bowling for the first time. Stacy came over with a bunch of games on Saturday (after the USC win over Washington State), and we all played Wii. It was definitely a challenge at first to both swing the Wiimote and release the button at the same time, but with a little help I was able to beat dada at the game. He has a problem with twisting his wrist to the left when he finishes the delivery of the ball.

It was not a good week for sleeping. If Christopher wasn't awake in the middle of the night because his teeth hurt, I was up and down. At one point, dada caught me standing in the closet with my eyes closed and talking. He says that this is not really one of those periods of life when you can expect to get any rest, so you just have to do your best to stay healthy and exercise as much as possible.

I have been working a lot on my golf swing this week and have been getting pretty good for a 3 years old. Typically, dada and I go to the golf course once a week to practice on the putting green, and hit balls at the driving range. I am now hitting the ball pretty much every time and can drive about 25 yards in the air. This week, we got to go golfing twice. It was hot, so I got my first big blister on my index finger from holding the golf club and it popped on the second day. Although it was traumatic at first, the man in the pro shop gave me a band aid and I was able to continue. Dada says that I will get lots of blisters in life if I want to play sports.

Project Little Brother (week 42)
I need to make a correction on last week's blog. Christopher is actually 29 inches tall, not 20 inches tall as reported in last week's blog. This is important because he was 19 inches when he was born and would really be chubby if he only grew one inch but gained 15 pounds. There were a number of big breakthroughs for Christopher this week. He has been talking a lot more--no words but a lot off shhh shhh shhh attempts at words. He is also becoming an excellent dancer and will begin shaking his head and shoulders back and forth the minute he hears the music. A few days ago, he even began to walk on his own. He needed assistance from the little green lawn mower, but he was able to hold-on and walk behind it in the backyard. Finally, he began throwing. Mostly it is picking-up the ball with his right hand and dropping it again, but he also tries to pick-it-up and throw it overhand. Usually it stays stuck in his paw, but he has gotten a few out.

No comments: