Sunday, September 19, 2010

Big Brother Ben (week 186)

It is remarkable to think that this project of recording my weekly exploits for the grandparents began (186) weeks ago; but Chris and I keep growing bigger and doing new fun stuff. Apparently, I have been very effected by the start of football season because when Mama came to pick me up from St. Lukes the other day, I was hanging-out with my buddies (Jackson and Nathan) in the plastic playhouse cheering for the Trojans on our imaginary television.

This week I also got my first pair of cleats...which I have worn every day for at least a portion of the time on concrete, mama's wooden floors, and of course the miniature soccer field in the back yard. We also took Chris in for his shots and Dr. Quan let me use the stethoscope to listen to his heartbeat...definitely a total charge. Afterward, mama took us to the bookstore to look for some new books. My favorite continues to be the Children's Bible from my Godparents Zak and Kate, which dada and I read a few stories from every night.

My relationship with my friends continues to be one of both joy and frustration. Most of the time, we are able to come-up with something to play; but often, a good time degenerates into a fight--usually involving pushing, hitting, or lying about who did what to whom. Mama says this is typical for 3-year-olds...but it would be nice if we could move out of the this phase sooner-rather-than-later.

This weekend, I almost spent my first night over at a friend's house. We were playing Cornhole at the O'Dowds the other night and were invited to stay the night. Jackson and Aiden seemed to be on board with the idea, but I am still somewhat of a homebody and value the security of my own bed over the opportunity for adventure in the bunk bed of a neighbor. On Saturday, Uncle Mark and Aunt Leah were to arrive, so I knew that it would be best to get a good night's sleep so that I could help dada with the lawn.

Saturday and Sunday were action packed. Uncle Mark went to the driving range with us on Saturday where I hit two full buckets of balls. My main challenge is keeping my eye on the ball. It is hard to keep focused when there are other people around, but I am definitely hitting a lot higher and straighter than ever. Golf is definitely my favorite at the moment, particularly since the Angels have become irrelevant in the playoff race. USC on the other hand is hanging-in there and squeaking-out wins.

Project Little Brother (week 41)
At Dr. Quan's, Christopher weighed-in at 22 pounds and 20 inches tall. He is still very solid but definitely stretching out. He continues to develop as a competent wrestler, and is not afraid to engage (clothed or unclothed) in a wrestling and slapping match with his older brother on the bed. He is also good at playing with his toys on his own--something his older brother never did. Either way, he is a prolific eater and a fairly good sleeper (hard to tell since his older brother regularly wakes-up walking and talking in his sleep), but his parents are trying to figure-out how to crack him of his middle-of-the-night bottles.

No comments: