Sunday, May 31, 2009

Long Beach @ 2 (week 118)

From the beaches to the mountains, this week was definitely a testament to the greatness of California--and birthplace of the gods. We began the week hosting a Memorial Day barbecue with all the Carfax families. Dada made everyone read the history of Memorial Day (which was established as a result of the Civil War), even though the birthplace of Memorial Day is still under debate.

On the actual day (Monday), the Keisler Family did what everyone else did...ate barbecue and went to the beach. Dada and I played baseball and drew the bases in the sand. I pitched almost the entire time but still ran the bases with dada and called them out as we did it. As Keislers do, we ate lots of watermelon and chips.

Only a few days later (because dada was forced to take a mandatory unpaid furlough...he says because of the economy), we went to the mountains. For the past 5 generations, of which I am the 5th, the Keislers have been going to June Lake in the mountains near Mammoth. We actually stayed at Gull Lake because there was a hoopy and a lake with fish and mountains nearby. Mama, dada and I watched the playoffs (dada said that Lebron James was a bad sport); went on the lake in a green paddle boat; and took a hike with no pants on. Actually, I fell into a puddle after trying to jump over and had to take the rest of the hike commando style. We also saw the campsite where my great-grandpa Bob is resting.

The neat thing about the mountains was that there was a candy store nearby. Every night we got to walk to the candy store in the June Lake Village. For some reason, though, I did a lot of crying every time we got near our motel. It was a great start (for my first time), and I expect that I will take my own son someday.

No comments: