Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tales from the Terrible Twos (Week 106)

Grandma Dubby came to town Tuesday night to spend some quality time with me. On this visit, she flew solo leaving Grandpa behind to work on the living room and kitchen remodels. She says that this will be the easiest remodel she has ever done; she leaves for a week's vacation and comes home to a new house.

This week we went to Taco Surf for "tay-cos" and beer. While dada worked, mama, dubby and I went for a late lunch. Dubby says I sound like a gringo when I say it but there is nothing wrong with a little afternoon tayco and some french fries. For Christmas, I want to get myself one of the big beer bottles that light-up.

Dada says that I have settled squarely into the "terrible twos". Nobody is entirely sure about what that means but it clearly makes life more difficult on everyone. For approximately three weeks now, I am definitely beginning to realize an entirely different world out there. For instance, when mama puts me into the chair for timeout, I simply get out of the chair! There are of course consequences for such a bold move (usually landing me in my crib with the door closed for 3 or 4 minutes), but there is truly nothing in the world that stops us from doing whatever it is that we want to do. Granted, there are consequences for throwing old noodles (that you find in your highchair), on the floor. But you can still throw that noodle if you want to.

Dada tore apart the backyard last week and ripped-out all the remaining grass. He has been going back-and-forth from Lowes and Home Depot, picking-up and dropping-off big machines. This weekend, he has been putting together all these little plastic parts for something he calls the sprinklers. He says that I am going to love them but we will have to wait and see. I do my best to move the little parts around and throw them around so that they get dirt in the threads and pipes.

Well, my third March Madness is about to begin! Hoopies has been on the tv almost nonstop, including a major upset by USC three nights running. A baller like me can't ask for much more than the excitement of constant hoops highlighting my favorite teams. I am looking forwawrd to watching another couple weeks of action and perfecting my own jump shot. Currently, my basketball hoop is set at 6 feet and seems to be pretty much my sweet spot with the new Handy Manny basketball mama bought me. March Madness 2025 here I come!

Word of the Week
Dubby: proper noun for New York grandmas. The origin of the word is a matter of debate. On the second visit of Grandma Webster, the sound "dbby" was uttered repeatedly. Perhaps it was a conscience effort to name Grandma Webster. Consequently, Grandma Webster began calling herself Dubby to all her coworkers and friends. Not to dissapoint or embarrass, the name Dubby was confirmed and repeated in reference to Grandma Webster and became her permanent name (see also Coppa and Grammy).

No comments: