Man has it been cold in Long Beach! For the past week, it has the feeling of winter; with lots of cold rain and a fire burning in the fireplace. My mama says that I am acting crazy because I have something called "cabin fever". I am not sure about what that is, but since it has been so cold and wet outside I have been stuck indoors all day. Every morning, I wake up and immediately run to the back door to see if I can get myself outside to shoot hoops. It wasn't until Wednesday that I was allowed in the backyard...and only after I put on a humiliating teddy bear hat that covered my ears and head.
Meantime, I have also been fighting-off a mean case of teething. It was so bad, that the fevers and the pain were keeping me up all night...I tried to keep quiet but couldn't help the moaning and crying which caused my mama or my dada run in the room a every twenty minutes. I could hear my dada telling my mom to let me cry-it-off and my momma yelling at him that I was her baby. I finally had to go to Dr. Quan with my dada who told us that it was just my two-year molars coming-in and that my coughing and sneezing might be a little croup. In any case, I wanted to get well because I had a big weekend ahead at Grandma Copa and Ampa's house in Arroyo Grande.
On Friday, my mama drove me up to Ventura to pass me off to Copa who was waiting for us at the Starbucks. I know the drill pretty well by now and when we start to come over the big hill out of the valley, I know that the wim-meel and the chinkins aren't far away. This time (to make it easier on my mama), I just pushed mama out the door of the coffee house and told Copa to take me to the farm. It is hard on mama to let go sometimes and say goodbye so I try to make it a little easier by showing her the door..."mama, car. mama, car."
The weekend at Copa's was pretty cool. Of course, we got to pick-up all the chinkin eggs and see the wim-meal. We also went walking in the Village and had dinner at the deli where I got to watch hoops and eat french fries with the guys. In the morning, we went to shersh at Copa's shersh and had pancakes and bacon at the Village Cafe. All-in-all it was much better than hanging out with my mama and dada the last few days. I do look forward to getting home, however, because I know that mama misses me and wants to play "mama's kiki" with me in the morning. She needs the closeness and the hugs to start the day off right.
Word of the Week
Kiki: usually used in conjunction with "my" or "mine"; describing a thin, soft and usually dirty blanket that belongs exclusively to a specific individual. Most everyone has an easily identifiable kiki, including cartoon characters such as Linus on Charlie Brown. The kiki usually smells of old milk and gets laundered weekly, but must be drawn up to one's chin each night before saying the prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment