Sunday, March 20, 2016

Responsibility & Adventure Guides week 482)





There has been a lot of talk in our house lately about the importance of "taking responsibility".  Ever since my 9th birthday, it seems like Mom and Dad have piled on a whole bunch of new responsibilities.  I am not sure what happened but 3rd Grade has been a whole new level of responsibilities as well.  I am now expected to keep a binder, get myself ready for baseball practice, put all my dirty clothes in the hamper, and now pack my own suitcase!  Even more important, Mom and Dad lecture me all the time about "cause and effect", and even sometimes blaming me for "not thinking ahead" and "strategies to keep Christopher for getting time outs"!  


It just doesn't seem fair.  They seem to hold me to a much higher standard now, and I am getting in trouble for things like "consideration", and "gratitude", and not holding the door for Mom.  I am ending up with time outs for the stuff that I don't do, rather than for the things that I do.  At age 6, Christopher seems to get away with everything.  Mom and Dad say that since he is only in Kindergarten, the rules and expectations don't apply to him.  Although, if I were totally honest about it, Christopher is actually right where I was at his age (in constant battles over taking-off and putting-on my shoes, brushing my teeth, getting dressed, eating my food and clearing my plate).  Mom and Dad both say we are the best boys and that they love us every day, but it sure doesn't feel like it lately.

Speaking of responsibilities, Chris and Dad have been spending time together recently going on Adventure Guide trips with his kindergarten YMCA "Los Lobitos" circle. They do things like camping, basketball games, kayaking, and beach cleanups.  This last weekend, they got to go to Bayshore and kayak through the canals.  After the fun part, they cleaned up the beach and Chris found a giant Sea Slug.  I wish that I could go to the Adventure Guide trips with them, but Mom says it is good quality time between Dad and Chris.  I think it is good for them to spend time together alone, but it just doesn't feel right!


No comments: