The new year started out great, and so did the new week. But right now (and maybe always), it just isn't good to be a Vikings fan. As I learned the hard way this weekend, even when you think that it is impossible to miss a 27 yard field goal to win a big playoff game in front of a home crowd (in the coldest game in football history), the Vikings find a way to break your heart. I will leave it at that, but I now know why my dad says that it is tough to be a Vikings fan (and why they have lost all four of their Superbowl appearances). Now I have to go back to school tomorrow and hear all of the front runner Seahawks fans act like they deserved the win.
Lot's of good things did happen this week. For the first time, I cooked a French Toast breakfast for my family on Saturday morning. I had a sleepover at Nathan's house. And, we won our basketball game.
Basketball has been kind of tough lately. Just like I went ice cold in baseball last Summer and learned how to deal with my first 0-15 hitting slump, I am currently in a 4-29 shooting slump in basketball. I am pretty lucky that my coach wants for me to shoot so much. Most guys don't get the opportunity to shoot 10 and even 20 times a game. But I haven't been able to knock down the shots that have always been there for me and it is super frustrating. Last game, everything was short after bouncing on that pirate ship bounce house for three days. Today, everything was long and I don't know why. I have been coughing every night and keeping everyone awake, but I tried to rest (even taking myself out of practice for a few minutes) and yet I can't heat up. Dad says it will settle in and average out, but it is really frustrating.
Chris on the other hand is super pumped about his newest hobby: Shopkins. None of us really know what the big deal is but Chris and Mady are crazy about them. They like to arrange them on the shelves next to their beds. Basically, they set them up and take them down. They put them in boxes and bags, and then take them out again. It is super weird but Chris can't stop talking about his Shopkins; counting his Shopkins; and asking everyone if they think that his Shopkins are cute. He gets super offended if you say that they aren't cute. He hasn't gotten to the point in life where he can recognize that people have different opinions about things. We are both working on each other with nicknames, calling each other stupid, and telling each other what is good or bad. Dad and mom spend a lot of time explaining that everyone has different tastes and opinions. It is just hard to believe that everyone doesn't like the things that we find to be awesome.
Chris and dad spent Sunday morning (before the tragic Vikings game) at YMCA Adventure Guides: Los Lobitos. Today, they got to make cars with laser cutting and 3D printing at a local school. It was awesome because they were able to put the memory card into the printer computer and it made the wheels for them. The laser cutting machine burned the pattern into a giant piece of wood; they broke apart the pieces and glued them together. It was incredible! Chris didn't get to finish his car because there weren't enough kits for everyone but mom and dad were proud of him for not making a big deal about it.
The last news is that our lawn-to-garden landscaping keeps sliding down the hill and into the sidewalk. El Nino has finally hit Long Beach and we are getting lots of rain! They say that it won't end the drought but it might be the end of our decomposed granite that keeps sliding down the hill. Dad shovels it back into place each day, but is losing faith that it will stay put. With more rain (and more snow in the mountains) coming, we are looking forward to some sledding very soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment