Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Presidents Day Weekend (week 425)


It was an all-American weekend for President's Day at the Keislers.  Actually, this was the second of two President's Day weekends for the kids, but felt more like a holiday with everyone in the family home from work.  It was a beautiful 70 - 80 degrees and sunny while most of the country was freezing cold and under 5 feet of snow.  It also incorporated Valentines Day and Opening Day Weekend for many of the college baseball teams.  For us, it meant lots of sports,  yard work, entertainment, and friends.

For the past two Fridays, I have been taking golf lessons over at Heartwell Park.  We have to take these classes before we are allowed to join Jr. Golf and hit the course on our own.  So far, I have been frustrated that all we do is work on our short game--putting and chipping.  Since I am a guy who likes the long ball, the short game is entirely frustrating.  I am told that the short game is the most important part of golf which is a sign that I might not have the best stuff for golf.  Chris also loves golfing and loves to get out on the putting green and the driving range.  He is a little bit of a wild man and does not like to follow instructions about how to position his feet, hold the club, swing the club, and the general etiquette of the game  (which drives dad insane), but he keeps coming back and may have found a sport that really interests him.

Since we have also started baseball practices a couple times a week, we have been busy getting between basketball, tennis, golf, and baseball practices.  It is a temporary overlap of seasons and lessons but makes for a dream come true for me.  I absolutely love going all the time, but it means that I can hardly make it through dinner without falling asleep.  Particularly if I see salad on the table, I start rubbing my eyes and complaining that I am too tired to eat.  Of course, if there is ice cream or popcorn waiting on the other end of dinner I can find the energy, but I usually voluntarily hit the pillow (on the couch) immediately after dinner and fall asleep while Chris grabs his second wind and revels in the solo attention of our parents.

Saturday was Valentines Day and the second game of the season for the Dirtbags against the Michigan Wolverines at Blair Field.   Mom and dad totally surprised us--after baiting us into helping with the yard work and car washing--and wouldn't tell us where the surprise was until we got there.  I had been asking to go to Blair Field for about a year (every time we passed it on the way to church), so it was a fantastic surprise.  Chris on the other hand was somewhat disappointed since he had Knott's or Disney in his mind.  When we got out of the car he said "I don't know how to play dirtbags" referring to the surprise that "the Dirtbags" (the nickname for the CSULB 49er baseball team), was the surprise.  In any event, it was a beautiful day and we got hot dogs, peanuts, sodas, nachos, and some stomach aches to open the season.

We also had a big rehearsal at Bayshore for the April play.  Dad sang with the Chancel Choir earlier in the day because they were doing St. Olaf's "Beautiful Savior" as part of the service.  After church, at rehearsal Julie said I did such a good job on my solo addition in the previous week that she gave me a solo reading part in the upcoming service.  I have to practice it for next week and recite it from memory but I was pretty pumped.  

To bring President's Day Weekend home strong, we went to the Huber's for dinner and I spent the night.  Chris got to go to breakfast with dad and his friends Monday morning, but we all got to go to the dentist in the morning and get new tooth brushes and floss.  I like the dentist because they have Mario Kart in the lobby and they give you stuff.  Chris actually went straight into the dentist chair, and put on his sunglasses on his own.  After, we went to Monkey Sports in Irvine to pick out a new Rawlings baseball glove for my birthday and to have In-N-Out to celebrate my big accomplishment of moving up reading groups.  

It was a great President's Day Weekend in Long Beach.  I was exhausted, and fell asleep immediately after dinner on the couch.


No comments: