Sunday, January 11, 2015

Rainy Days (week 420)


It's been a long time since I have been sick and I forgot how terrible it could be for a guy like me.  I'm the type of guy who needs to run and to use up my energy on a daily basis.  When I get sick, I can't use up my energy.  When I get stuck inside for the weekend because it is raining (and because I am sick on top of that), I drive myself and everyone around me completely mad.  To make matters worse, I lost access to the iPad for the entire weekend.  Talk about bad timing!  Not only was I stuck inside and sick, but my go-to inside activity (playing football and basketball games on the iPad) was taken away because I didn't do my spelling words for school.  

As a result, the whole family was forced to play board games, paint, and watch movies. Chris was caught red-handed stealing Monopoly money from the banker.  But this week there was no yard work, tennis, golf, shooting baskets, or running around the backyard. 

I think I probably got sick because it was our first week back from Christmas Vacation. We were all a little off all week having to get up and get ready for school.  Actually, we got up earlier during the vacation because we knew we didn't have to go to school, but for some reason we were really tired by the end of the day and I think that my immune system was shot.  Since Chris gets out of school earlier than me, he and Mommy went to Knott's Berry Farm together (alone) on Wednesday afternoon.  It was Mommy's last week of vacation so they had a great time together.

On Friday night, we all went to the Huber's house to learn how to cook Chow Mein.  The goal was for the kids to do most of the cooking and to pick out all the ingredients. It was a great idea but in the end the mommies ended up doing most all of the work and the daddies did most all of the eating.  We stayed up later than normal which I think set me on the path to illness. Chris on the other hand had a great time with Mady and Tyler dressing up as female rock stars and putting on a show.  Recently, Chris has been into wearing his long sleeve shirt over his head to emulate long hair and watching himself in the window's reflection so wearing blond wigs and Mady's clothes in their rock band was a dream come true.

I also got to go to my first State of the City Address on Tuesday.  Dad and I got to have dinner at Beachwood Barbecue on the Promenade and then walked down to the Terrace Theater.  It was huge!  There were also lots of spotlights and all kinds of people everywhere.  I am definitely going back next year.  Overall, it was a very different week for us.  We still got to go to church, watch some playoff football, and I ended up playing in my basketball game but everyone was just a little tired!  



No comments: