When compared to the first month I would say that we are getting marginally better at getting ready for school. School days are not my favorite and something that comes into direct conflict with Christopher's nature. While I will ask to go bed at night and fall asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow, Christopher is a night owl. He despises going to bed and would rather stay up listening to stories or watching tv--anything other than going to bed. As a result, I am up at the crack of dawn, literally when the sun comes up around 615 am or 645 am each morning. On the other hand, Christopher like to stay up and sleep in a little later often having to be roused awake at 700 am or even 720 am. It could be that he is growing, he has been sick, or he just loves his sleep. But since we need to be out of the house by 745 am to get him to TK, it makes it a mad rush to wake up, eat breakfast, get dressed, teeth brushed, lunches made, and out the door.

Chris's routine is a little different than mine because we have different start times. TK starts at 800 am on the button and Ms. Mendez does not allow for tardiness. Most mornings, Dad makes breakfast but Mommy makes lunches and gets him dressed. Dad is always on hair and often on shoes. Mommy is the tooth brushing queen. Chris eats oatmeal right now--lots of it. He is a skinny chicken so Mom and Dad are letting him eat two bags of the sweet instant oatmeal every morning. His preference would be the muffin top on the chocolate chip muffin from Grounds, but the oatmeal at least gets him going and he eats it all. Many mornings Jeff drops off my buddy Nate and picks-up Chris to take him and Mady to Burcham. Chris still cries every morning that it is unfair for me and Nate to get to stay home, but I think it is getting better now that he knows nothing is going to change on that front.
My standard breakfast is the familiar plain bagel (fresh from Vons bakery almost every morning), toasted with cream cheese (preferably whipped). Dad calls me a bagel snob because I complain if the bagel isn't fresh that morning. Dad gets them when he leaves the gym every morning so sometimes they are still hot and gooey, and only 30 minutes from the oven. What this has caused is an expectation that every baked good should be fresh from the oven and I complain if the bagel is day-old or "bready". I am getting better at getting myself dressed on my own. I still don't tie my own shoes, but am starting to at least get dressed up to the socks, brush my own teeth, and comb my own hair (very poorly). In contrast with Chris, Nate and I are ready to roll and want to get to Patrick Henry for the start of the Running Club--Henry Hundred Milers. They sound the horn every morning at the same time, so we jump in the car if Mommy is working the event or the truck if Dad is going to take us, drop our backpacks off at the classroom and run to playground.
I've decided that Saturday is my favorite day because there is no school AND no church. Too bad it is only one day of the week and we don't have time for more Saturdays. This Saturday we went to Christian Alegria's baptism in Rancho Palos Verdes. It was a long drive up the hill but the church was incredible. They had the biggest baptism fountain and pool that I have ever seen. After the ceremony we went to In-N-Out. It was one of the old ones with the two drive thrus, the tiny kitchen, and very little seating. Chris drank a milkshake before getting his hamburger (the old style restaurants take forever to get your food), and didn't eat anything else. This made for a difficult afternoon. Needless to say, he didn't want to play in his afternoon soccer game but played two quarters and the game ended in a 2-2 tie. Our Lizards are now on a 6 game unbeaten streak and 4-1-2 on the year! The other coach tried to start a fight with Dad so they left the field to go to the League tent to discuss. I also had a game in the afternoon and scored 2 goals with 2 assists. We won 4-1 to bring our record to 5-2. I am totally digging AYSO soccer and asked that I play this league again next year. Chris asked if he could take an art class instead!

No comments:
Post a Comment