If I could do what I wanted to do all day, every day; it would be to play my Nintendo Wii from the time that I woke up to the time that I went to bed. I probably wouldn't eat or shower, and I definitely wouldn't go to school if I had it my way. Time just seems to fly by when I play the Wii. And although my parents give me a few minutes each day (after I have accomplished some task they want me to achieve), there is never enough Wii.
Mostly, I like to "test myself", and play the various games that are included in the Wii sports package. This includes bowling, tennis, baseball, boxing and golf. Sometimes, daddy and I play a game of golf. But daddy says that the scary part of having video games around is that I no longer harass him to play baseball, soccer, or basketball with him outside. Instead of practicing the real thing incessantly as I always have, I would rather stay inside and play against the computer...or get my hands on his Kindle Fire and play Angry Birds.
The presence of video games and technology in the household presents a dilemma for my parents. I think that the Wii helps me to develop agility and to understand how sports games work in a way that I couldn't in the real world. For instance, when would I get to play 9 holes on a complicated golf course. It teaches me about different clubs, the presence of wind, angles, and how to keep score. How else would I understand the scoring in tennis at the age of 4 years old? Clearly, no one could explain these things to me.
On the other hand, what good is it? Of course jumping around and playing is much better than sitting on the couch. But what value does it bring to life once we turn it off or finish the game? I guess one could say this about all sports, but at least when I am playing outside I am using a lot more of my faculties. The big difference is that daddy says I am mean and tired when I finish playing video games...but I am happy and tired when I finish playing sports outside. What happens after I finish playing may be the best indication of what is good for me. Like eating good food versus eating sugar. One experience may be better while in the process of doing it...but the way that I feel after is the best indicator of what I should eat.
Some parents have told daddy that they only let their kids play video games on the weekend. Others have told them that they only allowed sports or adventure games (no simulated violence) into the house. Some parents have told daddy that introducing video games was the single worst decision they made in their lives as parents. My guess is that it is probably like everything else: do it in moderation. We will probably have to struggle our way into finding a good balance. And like everything else, it will require some discipline by both parents and children.
No comments:
Post a Comment