This week I spent four whole nights at Grandma and Crappa's house, and I loved being back with the windmill, the barn, the chickens, and the puppies, not to mention the blueberries! Grandma has 22 blueberry bushes, and I picked berries every single day, chanting my little blueberry song: Not the GREEN ones! Only the BLUE ones! It's a good thing I finally got my colors straightened out a few months back--I used to call everything blue-green, which would have made the berry situation pretty tricky. As if 22 bushes aren't enough, Grandma also took me to a huge blueberry farm where they gave us tin pails and we got to cruise along rows and rows of big bushes. After 20 minutes, Grandma had a whole pailful of berries, but I only had three in my bucket. She's a faster picker and I'm a faster eater.
The third night I was in Arroyo Grande, Cousin Eli, Aunt Andrea, and Uncle Josh showed up, and boy were they tired! They said they had been driving for two days from some place called New Mexico, and it was hot, hot, hot the whole way. All Eli was wearing when they got here was a diaper and a coating of M & M's, ice cream, and juice. We two cousins had not seen each other since February, and we had to circle around each other a little bit before we could relax. Eli always wants to tackle me, get me down on the ground, and jump on my back, then kiss me on the head. I'm not so into that. We finally found our common ground at the train table, where we both yelled "MY train!!" into each other's faces until we got things all worked out.
On Sunday morning, Eli and I woke each other up really, really early so we could go to church with Grandma and Crappa. Andrea and Josh came too, and boy did we make an impression. Crappa said Grandma was smiling like the Chesire Cat, whoever that is, because she was so proud to have both her grandsons at church. The only down side was that when Grandpa and I went up to get a communion wafer from Grandma, she wouldn't give me one of my own. She told me she felt really bad about that, but Catholics don't give out communion wafers to guys my age. She made up for it afterwards when she took all of us to the Knights of Columbus pancake breakfast and I got two whole baseball pancakes all my own, plus two big sausages and a cup of orange juice. Not as good as the sprinkle-covered donuts at my real church in Long Beach, but still pretty good.
Word of the week:
"Mayfull," which means anything that is really, really pretty and/or cool, or awesome, or neat. Other people pronounce it "beautiful," but I like my version much better.
The third night I was in Arroyo Grande, Cousin Eli, Aunt Andrea, and Uncle Josh showed up, and boy were they tired! They said they had been driving for two days from some place called New Mexico, and it was hot, hot, hot the whole way. All Eli was wearing when they got here was a diaper and a coating of M & M's, ice cream, and juice. We two cousins had not seen each other since February, and we had to circle around each other a little bit before we could relax. Eli always wants to tackle me, get me down on the ground, and jump on my back, then kiss me on the head. I'm not so into that. We finally found our common ground at the train table, where we both yelled "MY train!!" into each other's faces until we got things all worked out.
On Sunday morning, Eli and I woke each other up really, really early so we could go to church with Grandma and Crappa. Andrea and Josh came too, and boy did we make an impression. Crappa said Grandma was smiling like the Chesire Cat, whoever that is, because she was so proud to have both her grandsons at church. The only down side was that when Grandpa and I went up to get a communion wafer from Grandma, she wouldn't give me one of my own. She told me she felt really bad about that, but Catholics don't give out communion wafers to guys my age. She made up for it afterwards when she took all of us to the Knights of Columbus pancake breakfast and I got two whole baseball pancakes all my own, plus two big sausages and a cup of orange juice. Not as good as the sprinkle-covered donuts at my real church in Long Beach, but still pretty good.
Word of the week:
"Mayfull," which means anything that is really, really pretty and/or cool, or awesome, or neat. Other people pronounce it "beautiful," but I like my version much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment