Sunday, January 13, 2008

Tales from the Crib (Week 45)

Another crazy week in the Keisler apartment that involved a new virus, a family funeral and a lost phone. When I woke up this Sunday morning, I thought that the pox had hit. There were a lot of rumors going around about "the chicken pox" but I hadn't seen any signs of it from among my friends. Instead, I had to go to the doctor because I had something called coxsacki or "baby hand, foot, and mouth disease". That's right, you probably shouldn't think about coming around our apartment for a while because it gives you a fever and is highly contagious. To make matters worse, the temperature in Long Beach went up to almost 80 degrees today after being comfortably cold. The problem with coxsacki is that you end up with a bunch of red, itchy dots all over your body in all the wrong hot and sweaty places.

This week, I also attended my first Jewish funeral in San Diego. My aunt Leah's mom Beatrice Marie Lelie passed away after a long battle with sickness. My uncle Mark flew out from New York right away and we met him at the cemetary. It was a sad day but also a happy day as all the family came together to celebrate her life. Mainly, I crawled around the cemetary and then around the backyard at the reception and ended up with really bruised knees. The sad thing was that my dad and me saw a gravesite for a little baby that was only two years old. It helps to put things into perspective that we are very lucky.

Sometime at the cemetary, my dad also lost his phone in the grass. A woman called the last person he was talking too and left a message that the phone had been "found next to the deceased" and "near the place where the police and fire were". Of course, John Craighead (who received the message) thought that someone had died. At the time, he couldn't get ahold of his wife Mapi and thought that something terrible had happend.

Meantime, I have four teeth along the top of my mouth that have begun to show themselves. It makes the day very uncomfortable because they are right under the surface and just about ready to pop through. It helps to chew on everything...including blankets and the couch. Additionally, I continue to work on my walking by holding onto fences and walls and stuff. I am still in love with the wall heater in the living room and can't get enough Yo Baby Yogurt. Life's simple pleasures I guess. This week looks to be an interesting one because my mom and dad both have to work all week and I am not allowed to go to daycare because I am sick. Just my luck that mom has to go up to Portland at the end of the week.

No comments: