Sunday, December 13, 2015

King Number 2 (week 468)




The Bayshore Children's Christmas extravaganza finally arrived this Sunday after months of rehearsal after church, practicing our lines, and Tuesday night pizza parties.  This year, the theme of the play was "The 12 Days of Christmas", which tells how each of the secret symbols of the famous song represent the different pieces of the Christmas story for Christians who used to have to practice their faith in secret.  

This year, I was selected to be Joseph and Christopher was selected to be "King Number 2".  There were a lot of moving parts, but Julie made it easier for us this year by taping our names to the stage so that we all knew where we were supposed to stand.  As Joseph, I didn't have very complicated lines but I had a lot of them.  Actually, Mary (played by Taylor who was just about the same height as me), and I traded off asking each of the 12 gifts "what or who is it that comes by BLANK", every time a partridge or french hen came flying through for their part.  

Christopher on the other hand was King Number 2, who is the King that brings the Frankincense.  He had a tough line because of the word "Frankincense" which he struggled with in practice but nailed it in the play.  He also nailed his big song: We Three Kings of Orient Are, as part of the trio of kings.  After the big performance, we all went to Hoff's Hut in Los Alamitos to celebrate.  Everyone got burgers and sandwiches with ice cream sundaes!

Sunday was also busy because we had picture day and a basketball game in the evening. We played a barn-burner that went down to the very last seconds.  It was our second win of the season, so we are now 2-0.  I hit a lot of big shots in the second half of the game and probably scored about 16 or 18 points.


The other big event of the weekend was seeing Santa Claus at the Rancho Los Alamitos.  It was probably the 3rd or 4th time we went to the Rancho to see Santa because they always have a really good pancake breakfast and the Santa is the real deal.  My goal was to figure out if he was real by pulling on his beard, but when we got to the front of the line it was clear that the beard was firmly attached!  I turned to Dad at the last minute and told him that I wasn't going to test it! 

No comments: