Sunday, August 9, 2015

Breakfast Kings (week 450)

This summer was a big step forward in terms of independence and responsibility. My parents still complain a lot about how much Chris and I complain, but at 5 & 8 years old, Chris and I are learning to do a lot more for ourselves.  One big area of growth over the Summer was in the area of breakfast cooking.  This past week, I cooked the entire breakfast for the entire family all by myself--eggs, pancakes, bacon and everything else.  

Not only does it feel good to be able to do stuff for myself, it feels good to do stuff for other people.  I am learning that I actually enjoy serving other people when I am not distracted by other things that I want to do (e.g. iPad, playing baseball, going to the beach).  I also really like to show people what I can do, whether it is my friends, grandparents, or my little brother.  I haven't really thought about cooking my own lunch or dinner yet (Chris and I still complain about everything that mommy makes us), but with the addition of mowing the lawn last Summer and cooking breakfast this Summer, my parents have hope that I will be able to take care of them in their old age at some point. 

One of the sad things that happened this week was that we sold Great Grandma Betty's house.  Actually, Grandpa John and Grammy did most of the work to get Great Grandma moved up to San Luis Obispo, clean the house, and put it on the market.  It only lasted 3 days and got 7 offers before the new owner's offer was accepted.  It ends a very long era (since 1947) with Grandma Betty living in 1243 E. 56th Street.  Chris and I went over to help water and move some stuff out of the garage.  We are all very happy that Great Grandma is now safe in Arroyo Grande with the rest of the family very close by.





No comments: