Sunday, December 5, 2010

Big Brother Ben (week 197)

Santa is coming! Santa is coming! This is the first year that I really understand the role of Santa in my life. Unlike past years where Santa was a very scary dude, I can't wait to get face time with him whenever I can. The picture to the left is not Santa or his elf, but Christopher in his new car. He spends a lot of time (oblivious to Christmas or Santa), hauling around the backyard in his new police car with his beanie on. Mama says he looks like a bugler that stole a police vehicle but he loves it. He climbs in and out; puts wood chips inside it; and generally enjoys playing by himself.

The first opportunity was at the Signal Hill Christmas Tree Lighting. Santa came roaring-in on a Fire Truck (dada says that I should be a fireman because they get paid overtime to drive Santa around). It was almost overwhelming to see him in person. In part because I had candy canes surging through my veins, but dada said that I was nearly hovering off the ground--jumping and shaking with excitement when Santa got down on his knee and asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Something came over me and I just had to embrace him. Most recent days, I spend my time watching movies that involve Santa, staring at my picture with Santa at South Coast Plaza, or reviewing my wish list of presents.

The only drawback about the whole Santa thing is the naughty list. Mama definitely uses the naughty list to her advantage; and we spend a lot of our time discussing my status. It is a never-ending battle to stay on the nice list right up to Christmas Eve. One morning I wake-up and confirm that I am on the nice list, but within an hour my position has slipped and I am heading for the naughty list again. I am confident that I can hold-on through the end of the month but it is harrowing.

This weekend, we also walked in our second Belmont Shore Christmas Parade. We met my friend Ellie (to the left) who I get along with famously. We had pizza together at my favorite hotspot and then went-on to find our float. We walked the entire loop...probably a good couple miles by the time we walked up Second Street; up-and-down again for the parade route; and then back to our car again. While I saw Snoopy (which was incredible), there was no sign of Santa at the parade. Rumor has it that he was at another holiday party down the street. However, there were tens of thousands of people lining the streets and waving as we walked with dada's work and Friends of Long Beach Animals. Who would have guessed? Only three weeks left until Christmas!

No comments: